First Outing--Testing/Racing at VIR

Here's the Formula Vee with it's new "look". Notice the Christian "sign of the fish" and the Christian red Cross of St. George as well as the Road Race Ministries decal and the decal of the financial sponsor WS Wealth Managers Inc. Also, the contingency sponsors Hoosier (who give us 2 free tires if we win) and VW (that gives us $200 if we win.) The car's number 8 is the number that signifies "new" in the Bible and many believe is the number of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ who made everything new.



I needed to test the car and get some track time. Tried to go to Summit Point, but the PDX/Track Trials there did not allow open wheel cars, and no Gasoline Alley Test Days were scheduled yet. So we decided to tow 340 miles (each way) to Virginia International Raceway for a Regional Race--it was a test of the tow rig and our logistics as well as the car. Arrived in South Boston, VA at 2AM, up with only 4 hours sleep at 6AM to drive to track, unload the car and go thru Registration and Tech. (Nice people with the SCCA NCR at VIR!) Practice and qualifying at 8:30AM.

Never been on this track or in this car, so it was "interesting" but "relatively" uneventful. (I did do a 180 degree spin in Turn One, but stayed on the track and recovered.) Car did not handle as expected. Brakes pulsated, wheels hopped under braking, and car became very "light" in one spot, where steering input did nothing and car was out of control for a second or so.

Back to pit and adjusted brakes, and then put on new tires. On the last wheel (LF) one of the brake drum threads for one lug nut stripped. Being fearful this "might" happen--we were prepared. But, we had only 45 minutes or so to install new bearings and drum. I was now not only tired, but also a bit flustered.

Started the race on "stickers"--brand new soft compound Hoosier tires. Another driver had given me insight about the car being light in turn 8. Seems there is a slight rise there and you need to start turning before you can see the apex so when you go "airborne" you are pointed in the right direction. Adapted with no problem. But the brakes and wheel hop problem were still bothersome, along with the fact that I could not move the shift lever normally--I had to push it with my fingers for downshift and pull back with two fingers on the upshift. These issued caused me to loose trust that the car would behave predictably. Decided this was a test and not important how I finished, being a bit wary about brakes and suspension, I backed off and held back. Finished race without being lapped, and actually got a trophy for a 3rd place "podium" finish. I plan on being much faster next time. Plan on being back at VIR in May.

Loaded up and drove home, arriving at about Midnight.

The hand of God was clearly at work all weekend. I stayed safe despite being tired and not at my best. (Had the spare parts I needed to make repairs. And many thanks to Shannon Jones for lending me the wheel bearing grease.) Learned that I needed to make some changes to the car. My racing buddie Jon had a great attitude and was a big encouragement. No problems with the tow rig. Thank the Lord.

I was disappointed that we did not go faster--more on this in a separate message. I think God was perhaps disciplining me for having a bit too much pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment